Promotion of the Third-Generation e-Gate
- Source：Border Affairs Corps
In 2011, National Immigration Agency (NIA) has launched the first-generation automated immigration clearance system (e-Gate) that integrated automation technology and biometrics verification technology. Passengers can use e-Gate for self-help speedy immigration. To move along with the development of Taiwan’s international and cross-strait relations, and to improve measures on boarder security and human flow management, NIA optimized Taiwan’s automated border control technology by inventing the third-generation e-Gate that offers even more convenient and safe immigration service.
Ⅱ. Highlights and Achievements
1. Features of the Third-Generation e-Gate
(1) The system is compatible with previous generations of e-Gate. There is no need for users to re-enroll for e-Gate.
(2) Foreign visitors are allowed to use while departure.
(3) Dynamic facial recognition that starts when user is still in motion, which will fasten the clearance process.
(4) Limit of user height is expanded to be 120-200 cm.
(5) 40 languages are offered to better facilitate international travellers.
(6) The Look of facility is designed to follow minimalistic fashion.
(7) Utilize lighting effects to instruct user and add a sense of technological asthetics.
The NIA has installed the third-generation e-Gate at Keelung Harbor east bank, Songshan International Airport, Taoyuan International Airport, Kaohsiung International Airport and Kinmen Shuitou Harbor. Considering the unique traits of space at habors, e-Gate is modified to have two-direction walkway for users, which distinguishes Taiwan’s e-Gate from others around the world. The third-generation e-Gate will be also installed respectively at Keelung Habor east bank and Kaohsiung Harbor, depending on the construction schedule.
37 third-generation e-Gate have been installed. To have a comprehensive enhancement of border security and efficiency, NIA will continue to improve and upgrade the existing 66 e-Gates.
NIA will continue to seek reciprocal exchanges of using automated immigration clearance with partner countries. The third-generation e-Gate significantly reduce passenger waiting time, which helps in growing passenger satisfaction to Taiwan’s immigration clearance and reaching the long-term goal of overall automated immigration.