Application Instructions for Visitor Visa Extension
- Source：Visit Section
A visitor visa holder who is permitted to stay in Taiwan for sixty days or longer and whose visa bear no such remark as "no extension will be granted", if needs to stay for more time, may submit required documents and apply at local service centers of the National Immigration Agency (NIA) for extension up to 15 days prior to the end of authorized period of stay.
A. Application Form.
B. Passport. (Original and one photocopy.)
C. Visa. (Currently in use, either issued abroad or within Taiwan. Original and one photocopy.)
D. Supporting Documents for Specific Purposes of Stay:
1. Visiting Relatives:
(1) Relative’s R.O.C. (Taiwan) ID, household registration, R.O.C. (Taiwan) Resident Certificate, Alien Resident Certificate(ARC), Alien Permanent Resident Certificate(APRC) or Employment Gold Card.
(2) Proof of kinship. (e.g. Marriage certificate, birth certificate with parents’ information)
2. Studying Mandarin Chinese:
(1) Certificate of enrollment issued by the Mandarin Chinese Language Centers affiliated with universities or tutoring centers.
(2) Record of attendance. (Applicants who have been absent over a quarter of total class hours during the 3 months prior to the time of application are not eligible for visitor visa extension.)
3. Religious Activities:
(1) Invitation or relevant documents issued by the religious organization within 1 month;
(2) Registration certificate of the inviting religious organization (a Photocopy which is stamped with the organization’s and its representative’s corporate seals.)
4. Foreign Employees Attending Training Courses:
(1) Approval letter issued by the competent authorities (Original and photocopy, the original will be returned after inspection.);
(2) Employment certificate issued by the training organization in Taiwan within 1 month.
5. Employment or Business Activities:
(1) Approval letter issued by the competent authorities (Original and photocopy. The original will be returned after inspection.)
(2) Employment certificate or relevant document issued by the company/organization in Taiwan within 1 month.
6. Business Visitors:
(1) Affidavit issued by the company in Taiwan. (Stamped with the company’s and its representative’s corporate seals.)
(2) Business registration of the company in Taiwan.
7. Working Holiday: Proof of accommodation in Taiwan.
8. Lineal Ascendants of Foreign Special/Senior Professionals:
(1) A multiple-entry visitor visa with an authorized stay of 6 months issued by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs which is valid for one year and bears no such remark as "no extension will be granted.”
(2) ARC, APRC, or Employment Gold Card of the Foreign Special/Senior Professional.
(3) Proof of kinship.
9. Other Purposes of Stay: Documents relevant to the purpose of stay noted in the applicant’s current visa must be submitted with the application.
10. Applicants who meet the circumstances listed in Article 3, Paragraph 2, of the Regulation Governing Visiting, Residency and Permanent Residency of Aliens: Please submit supporting documentation or proof.
1. If application is filed by an agent, please complete the agent’s authorization section on the application form, or provide an additional power of attorney.
2. Duration of stay starts from the next day of arrival.
3. Foreign nationals may not apply to extend their stay if they were admitted to Taiwan in the following categories: landing visa, visa-exempt entries, and visas bear such remark as "no extension will be granted.”
4. Applicants whose purpose of stay is studying Mandarin Chinese must apply for extension by themselves in person.
5. Each extension granted shall not exceed the duration of stay permitted by the original visitor visa, and the total duration of stay shall not exceed six months, or 180 days. However, according to Article 18 of Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals, where a foreign special professional or foreign senior professional has been approved for residence or permanent residence by the NIA, their lineal ascendant holds a valid visitor visa and is in need to continue the stay, then prior to the expiry of the time limit on the stay, he/she may apply to the NIA for an extension, without having to leave the State. The total length of each stay is limited to a maximum of one year.
6. Applicants who meet the circumstances listed in Article 3, Paragraph 2 of the Regulation Governing Visiting, Residency and Permanent Residency of Aliens, may provide supporting documentation and apply for extension before the expiry of their duration of stay. (It may take one to two weeks to process such applications, depending on the situation of each case. If you receive the NIA’s notification, please go to the local NIA service center and apply for an extension as instructed.)
7. For an R.O.C. (Taiwan) National with registered permanent residence in the Taiwan Area who has entered Taiwan on a foreign passport, he/she must apply for moving-out registration at Household Registration Office before submitting the application for extension with the NIA.
Application will not be accepted, if the applicant falls under one of the following categories below:
a. a male who is within the range of conscription age /near the conscription age and has not fulfilled his military service obligations;
b. A male who is not holding a Overseas Compatriot Identity Certificate or a R.O.C. (Taiwan) passport bears no Overseas Compatriot Identity Endorsements;
c. A draftee-to-be in the status of an Overseas Chinese has established household registration in Taiwan and resides in Taiwan for one year; or
d. Anyone who is subject to conscription and is restricted from traveling overseas.
8. If the required documents are made in foreign countries, they shall be certified by the overseas embassies; if the required documents are made by foreign missions or authorized institutions in R.O.C. (Taiwan), they shall be certified by MOFA. If documents are written in a foreign language, the NIA may request the applicants to submit a Chinese translation certified by overseas embassies or notarized by a domestic notary public.
- Application Instructions for Visitor Visa Extension pdf