Enter to main center

National Immigration Agency


How does a foreigner renew or apply for an ARC?(Serial No. 0902)

  • Date:
  • Source:Residency Section 2
  • Hit:301511
Receiving units: The local NIA’s service center.

I.Legal basis

1.Articles 22, 23, 26 and 31 of the Immigration Act (hereinafter referred to as “the Act”).

2.Articles 5 to 10, 17, 18, 22 and 22-1 of the Regulations Governing Visiting, Residency, and Permanent Residency
   of Aliens.

3.Articles 4, 7, 8 and 13 of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals (hereinafter
   referred to as “the Foreign Professionals Act”). 

II.To Whom Applicable:

1.A foreign national with a valid passport or travel document containing a valid resident visa who, after passing
  entry inspection by the National Immigration Agency (hereinafter referred to as “the NIA”), obtains permission to
  reside in Taiwan; or a foreign national who, after entering Taiwan, reapplies to the Bureau of Consular Affairs or a
  branch office thereof for a resident visa.

2.A foreign national who, after entering Taiwan and has been granted an Alien Resident Certificate (hereinafter
  referred to as “ARC”), changes his/her purpose of residence to joining family, employment, investment, or being
   the person in charge of a foreign company within the national territory of Taiwan.

3.A foreign national who, before the expiration of their permitted period of residence, with the reason for their
   residence remaining in existence, applies for an extension of residence.

4.A person whose ARC has been lost or damaged.

III. Documents Required for Examination:

1.ARC (first-time applicants and those applying for replacement of lost/damaged ARC are excepted).

2.Original of passport with resident visa (an applicant for change of reason for residency is exempted from
   providing entry visa; an applicant for extension of residency in an overseas area who is unable to submit the
   original of their passport may submit a photocopy of their passport and resident visa authenticated by an R.O.C.
   (Taiwan) overseas mission or the Straits Exchange Foundation).

3.Documentary proof of reason for residency application (original to be examined and copy retained):
   Documents produced outside Taiwan must be authenticated by an R.O.C. (Taiwan) overseas mission. A document
    in a foreign language must have a Chinese translation attached. If a foreign-language document has been
    authenticated by an R.O.C. (Taiwan) overseas mission without the Chinese translation, the Chinese translation
    must be notarized by a court (or notary public) in Taiwan.

  (1)Joining family: Proof of family relationship (such as birth certificate, marriage certificate, household
      registration   transcript, national ID card, ARC, or resident visa annotated with family relationship).

  (2)Employment: Letter of approval issued by the competent authority of the industry concerned and an in-service
      certificate issued within one month.

  (3)Investment: Letter of approval from the MOEA Investment Commission or other competent authority of the
      industry concerned, issued within three months (the investment amount must be at least US$200,000),
     company registration (or change of registration) form, and list of directors and supervisors. If the application is
    for extension, submit a certificate of investment (of at least US$200,000) issued within three months by the
    MOEA Investment Commission or other competent authority of the industry concerned.

  (4)Attending school: Student card with registration stamp for current semester, or certification of student status
      issued within one month (first-time applicants must submit letter of admission).

  (5)Learning Mandarin Chinese: Proof of enrollment and attendance record for the most recent semester.

  (6)Missionary work: The religious organization’s registration certification and a letter of invitation or related
     document issued by the religious organization in Taiwan.

  (7)Overseas compatriot granted long-term residency in Korea: A letter of identity issued by the Ministry of Foreign

  (8)Where the applicant is a foreign professional’s or foreign special professional’s adult child who is unable to live
     independently due to physical or mental disability, the application must include a diagnostic certificate stating
     that the applicant is paralyzed, unable to care for himself/herself, or is in a condition that requires full assistance
     from another, or has been assessed by a physician as having a score of 30 points or less on the Barthel Index.

  (9)The person in charge of a foreign company within the national territory of Taiwan (including a litigation and/or
     non-litigation agent): Letter of approval from the MOEA Department of Commerce, and registration form for
     establishment (or change) of a foreign company branch or representative office.

  (10)Other reason: Statement of reason for extension (a foreign professional and their spouse, minor children, and
       children over the age of majority who are unable to live independently due to physical or mental disability are
       exempted), and relevant supporting documents, such as a job leaving certificate issued within one month or
       formal school graduation certificate.

4.One color photograph (the same specifications as for a national ID card).

5.Application for replacement of ARC due to its defacement, destruction, loss, or change of information:
   Must submit damaged ARC, or statement or police report of its destruction or loss, or supporting evidence of the
   change of information.

6.Letter of authorization: Where another person is authorized to submit the application on behalf of the applicant,
   a letter of authorization must be presented; an applicant who is in a foreign country, in Hong Kong or Macau, or in
   the Mainland Area, may authorize another person to apply on their behalf when the application is only for
   extension of residency or change of residential address or service location.

7.Proof of current place of residence: Such as a lease agreement or the owner’s agreement to lend a place of
   residence with an appended photocopy of the owner’s title deed, or a photocopy of the front and back of the ID 
   card of a home owner who is an R.O.C. (Taiwan) citizen and the owner’s statement of consent.

NT$1,000 for one-year validity; NT$2,000 for two-year validity; NT$3,000 for three-year validity; NT$4,000 for four-year validity; NT$5,000 for five-year validity; NT$500 for Overseas Chinese students; NT$500 for replacement ARC.

V.Processing time:10 days (as counted by working days, the ARC to be collected upon presentation of payment

(download file link below for more information)  

Related File(s)

  • application form(111.8.1版)1111109 pdf
  • Instructions on Document Submission in Applications by Foreign Nationals for an Alien Resident Certificate or Its Extension or Replacement or Change of Reason for Residence pdf
  • 外國人居停留案件申請表(111.8.1版)1111109 docx